Other recent blogs
Mobile app development has been changing the way people live their lives. Having your own mobile application has become necessary to stay ahead of the competition and be successful as a business. You need to hire experienced developers to create applications that meet your needs and expectations. The app development cost will vary depending on factors like whether you want an individual or team of developers working on your project, the type of platform used for development, etc. But let's revisit the compelling needs of having a mobile app for your business:
Your business is complete with a mobile strategy.
- Enhanced customer engagement: Mobile apps provide businesses with a direct and personalized channel to engage with their customers. Through push notifications and in-app messages, businesses can send targeted offers, updates, and promotions, thereby improving customer engagement and fostering loyalty.
- Increased accessibility: Mobile apps enable businesses to reach their customers anytime, anywhere. With the majority of people using smartphones, having a mobile app ensures that your business is accessible to customers even when they are on the go. This accessibility translates into increased visibility and potential sales opportunities.
- Improved customer experience: Mobile apps allow businesses to provide a seamless and convenient experience to their customers. From easy navigation to personalized recommendations, mobile apps enable businesses to tailor their offerings and services to individual customer preferences, resulting in a more satisfying customer experience.
- Competitive advantage: In a highly competitive market, having a mobile app can give businesses a competitive edge. It demonstrates that a business is forward-thinking and committed to embracing new technologies. A well-designed and feature-rich mobile app can attract new customers and differentiate a business from its competitors.
- Data-driven insights: Mobile apps provide valuable data and insights into customer behavior and preferences. By analyzing this data, businesses can better understand their target audience, refine their marketing strategies, and make data-driven decisions to improve their products and services.
Since all of these factors seem to be imperative to have a mobile app for your own business - the question that comes first before we embark on the mobile journey is - how much does it cost to make an app?
Factors that determine the mobile app development cost
Here are some of the key factors that impact the cost to build an app:
- The complexity of the app: Key aspect of app development cost depends on The complexity of the app. Apps with basic features and functionalities will generally have a lower development cost compared to apps with advanced functionalities, complex algorithms, or integration with external systems.
- Platform(s) and device compatibility: The choice of platform(s) and device compatibility can influence the cost. Developing an app for a single platform, such as iOS or Android, will be less expensive than creating an app that supports multiple platforms and devices.
- Design and User Interface (UI): The design and UI elements of an app can affect the cost. Apps that require custom and intricate designs, animations, or user interactions may require more development effort and, therefore, be more costly.
- Backend infrastructure and API integration: If an app requires a robust Backend infrastructure, Cloud services, or integration with third-party APIs, the cost may increase. Building and maintaining a Backend system, along with integrating external services, can add complexity and development time.
- Security and data protection: Apps that handle sensitive user data or require advanced security measures will have higher development costs. Implementing encryption, secure authentication, and compliance with data protection regulations can increase the development effort and cost.
- Testing and Quality assurance: Rigorous testing and quality assurance are essential for a successful app. Conducting thorough testing on various devices, platforms, and network conditions can contribute to the overall cost of development.
- Ongoing maintenance and updates: The cost of mobile app development also includes ongoing maintenance and updates. Regular updates, bug fixes, and compatibility with new OS versions require additional resources and may incur maintenance costs.
- Development team and location: The cost of hiring developers or development agencies can vary based on their expertise, experience, and location. Developers in different regions may have different hourly rates, affecting the overall cost.
How much does it cost to make an app that is relational to the type of app being developed?
One of the prominent determiners of mobile app development cost is the approach adopted for development. The four basic approaches to mobile application development are Native applications (iOS, Android), Hybrid Apps (Cordova, Sencha, Xamarin, Ionic), React Native, and Progressive Web Apps.
Before we delve deeper into the subject and discuss in detail how these four mobile application development approaches differ from each other, it is important to understand how choosing a particular approach directly affects the mobile app development cost.
The formula for calculating the cost of developing a mobile application through different approaches is provided in the below infographic:
If we assume that the value of x=$100000, according to the above formula, the cost of building a mobile application through various approaches will be:
- Total cost of developing a Native App = $200,000
- Total cost of developing a Hybrid App= $140,000 to $160,000
- Total cost of developing a React Native App = $120,000 to $150,000
- Total cost of developing a Progressive Web App = $120,000
Mobile app development is a complex process that requires careful planning, but it doesn't necessarily have to be expensive.
Managing your mobile app development cost effectively is crucial to make sure you spend your time effectively. Here are some strategies to ensure you stay within your budget:
- Define clear project requirements: Start by clearly defining your project requirements and objectives. Outline the features, functionalities, and scope of the app. A well-defined project scope will help you avoid unnecessary additions or scope creep, which can lead to increased costs.
- Conduct thorough research and planning: Before starting development, conduct thorough research and planning. Explore different development options, technologies, and platforms. Gather estimates from multiple development agencies or freelancers to compare costs and make an informed decision.
- Prioritize features and functionalities: Identify the core features and functionalities that are essential for your app's minimum viable product (MVP). Prioritize these features to ensure they are developed within your budget. Non-essential or secondary features can be added in future updates.
- Opt for agile development methodology: Agile development allows for flexibility and incremental development. It enables you to focus on the most critical features first and release iterations of your app. This approach helps control costs by allowing you to adjust priorities and allocate resources based on feedback and progress.
- Communicate effectively with your development team: Establish clear and open communication with your development team. Regularly discuss progress, challenges, and budget concerns. Maintain transparency and address any issues promptly to avoid costly delays or misunderstandings.
- Consider using existing frameworks or technologies: Leveraging existing frameworks, libraries, or technologies can save development time and cost. Utilize open-source solutions or pre-built components wherever feasible rather than reinventing the wheel.
- Monitor and control project milestones: Set clear project milestones and monitor progress closely. Regularly review and track the development process to ensure it aligns with the budget. Address any deviations or potential risks promptly to avoid unnecessary expenses.
- Test and validate during development: Conduct regular testing and validation throughout the development process. Identify and resolve issues early on to prevent costly rework or post-launch fixes. Thorough testing helps deliver a high-quality app within budget.
- Plan for ongoing maintenance and updates: Factor in ongoing maintenance and updates in your budget. Regular maintenance, bug fixes, and compatibility updates are essential to keep your app functional and secure. Allocate resources accordingly to avoid unexpected expenses.
- Have contingency funds: Even with careful planning, unforeseen circumstances or changes may occur during development. It's wise to have contingency funds set aside to handle unexpected costs or adjustments that may arise.
By following these strategies, you can effectively manage your average cost of app development and ensure that you spend your time effectively. Regular monitoring, effective communication, and a well-defined development plan will contribute to a successful app launch while staying within your budgetary limits.
At Kellton, we help you achieve your mobile app development goals by following a phase-wise development approach which helps you in a shorter time to market. As mentioned earlier, the cost of any mobile app development project will depend on requirements, complexity, and expected user traffic. However, the average cost of app development range from $35,000 to $750,000.
To maximize your ROI on technological investments, Our experts help you to analyze your business needs and suggest the best approach tailored to your needs. Rely on our trusted mobile app development services for reliable, scalable, secure, and powerful mobile applications.